June 8, 2012

Finally Friday Forum


At the end of your life, you will never regret not having passed one more test, not winning one more verdict or not closing one more deal.  You will regret time not spent with a husband, a friend, a child, or a parent.
-Barbara Bush

A very happy Barbara Bush's birthday everyone.  I love this quote because it's SO true.  I have to stop myself several times a day and remember that all this little stuff is really NOT what it's all about.  Spending time with family and friends is the ultimate blessing in life.  Living in the moment and really loving.  I do believe that with all my heart. 

Today's events reconfirmed this quote and what's important to me.  Let's see if I can explain this quickly.  Yesterday I was called into a meeting and asked if I wanted to move back to my old group in Litigation.  I left that group roughly 11 years ago because the job demanded lots of overtime and all my energy.  I had just gotten married and was pregnant with my first child.  Willy and I decided it was time to concentrate on family.  So I transferred to another group within the company that was more structured and less demanding. 

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't be MORE flattered that they want me back.  It's a HUGE compliment.  I'm just at a stage in my life where my family is WAY more important to me then any job could EVER be.  So imagine my horror when I looked at my blackberry this morning and my old group was already INVOLVING me in a project.  The involvement turned into several conference calls spanning a 3 hour period and ending in me pumping out work product until after 6 tonight.

Now it's 6:30, I have no clue what's for dinner, I didn't pick up that birthday gift I need this weekend for a kid's party and I didn't schedule Sir T's follow-up ear appointment.    BAD MOMMY MOMENT.

Thank you God for giving me this small taste of what life would be like if I transferred back to the old group.  I can clearly see that I'm not ready to return to the hustle and bustle of a high demanding job.  On Monday when I meet to discuss this new opportunity, I will have no reservations about saying "I'm SO flattered BUT it's not the right time to make this kind of a change in my life". 

Have a great weekend everyone.  Count your blessings and enjoy your time with family. 
Photobucket

1 comment:

Calypso In The Country said...

First of all, I love that quote! Second, it's nice to hear that you are so clear about what is important in life! I haven't worked since my 8 year old was born and although I sometimes feel like I should be making money, deep down I feel like I am doing what I should be doing at this point in my life! Congrats on your decision. Have a nice weekend! - Shelley