January 20, 2012

A Blog About Nothing . . . Now There's An Idea

Let me start by saying I am NOT a creative person.  Why I started this blog is a COMPLETE mystery to me.  I have absolutely no interior design skills.  I’m not a fashionista.  I’m not a bargain shopper.  I can cook and bake but let’s face it you probably already know how to make hot dogs, microwave tater tots, and open one of Betty Crocker’s boxes.  Hell, I can’t even write that well but here I am -- blogging away.  

My sister Pippa and I constantly joke (well, really cry) about how our parents raised us to be “good” at just about everything but not “great” at anything.  One of my father’s favorite “zingers” went something like this “all my children’s brains are full of useless knowledge”.  That one hurt like a bullet to the chest.

As an adult, I have come to grips with the reality that I am just AVERAGE.   I can SOMEWHAT hold my own in a conversation about politics, I can throw a football with a pretty decent spiral, and I have a few dance moves like Jagger. 

So why do I think I can write a blog about SOMETHING?  Here’s the reality of my situation.  It’s hard for me to come up with ideas to write about.  I find myself asking (rather begging) Prince William to help me come up with topics.  Love the guy to death but he’s not a lot of help in this area.  Case in point – the other day he suggested I blog on why women go ape-crazy when they are on their periods.   My first reaction was to throw something at him but then I remembered I have a “good” arm but not a “great” arm.

So, for now I’m left with what?  I could blog about my children.  With four of them under the age of 9 I have tons of material but I’m not sure I want to expose them.  I could write about balancing motherhood and a full-time career but frankly I’m barely hanging on.  I could write about all my worldly travels but between you, me and the lamppost not sure you want to hear stories about little towns in Pennsylvania.  

So how do I make this work?  How do I write a blog that people will be interested in and keep coming back?  I need a business plan.  How about a blog about nothing?   Jerry Seinfeld made millions with this business strategy.  I’ll just start blogging about nothing and we'll see where it goes.  

That reminds me, did you know that Jerry Seinfeld loves breakfast cereal?  Just a little useless knowledge.


Photobucket

No comments: