September 5, 2012

Some Rules Are Meant To Be Broken


Parenting Rule Number 10 in our house is never force our children into anything.  Whether it be sports, musical instruments, etc.  We want them to want to try new things.   Sure, we have run into a few issues of "no I don't want to try that" when we think they should but all in all the rule seems to be working for the most part.

Last year at the end of school, a letter came home soliciting candidates for the 2012-2013 school year safety patrol program.  I asked Sir T if he would like to try it and he flat out refused.  We talked about it and he told me he was uncomfortable "putting himself out there like that".  After about an hour, I did the unthinkable.  I broke Parenting Rule Number 10.  I told him he had NO choice but to be a safety patrol.  Needless to say, he was not a happy camper.

So yesterday when Sir T hopped off the bus with his belt and badge on, I was surprised.  The surprise was I had completely forgotten about signing him up for the program (come on that was 12 weeks ago).  BUT here's the feel good part.  He was SO happy to be a patrol.  Evidently, he was pulled out of class to attend a safety patrol prep class sometime during the day and ceremoniously given his badge in front of the whole school.  HOW COOL IS THAT???

At dinner he wouldn't stop talking about how important it is to be a safety patrol and was so excited about all his new responsibilities.  This morning he couldn't get to the bus stop fast enough to man his post.  I hope I haven't created a monster.

The whole family is SO proud of Sir T and how seriously he is taking his new job.  

I'm glad I broke Parenting Rule No. 10.

Photobucket

No comments: